Administrative Structure of the AJJF
The administrative structure of the AJJF is based on three documents. They are listed and described below.
A. The Articles of Incorporation
- The Articles of Incorporation
are filed with the California Secretary of State. They entitle the AJJF to be recognized as a California Public Benefit Corporation.
- All changes to the Articles of Incorporation must be approved by the active Professors of the corporation and must be filed with the Secretary of State.
- The active members of the Board of Professors are the corporate directors of the AJJF.
B. The Bylaws of the AJJF
are the legal constitution of the AJJF.
They state the corporate responsibilities of the AJJF. As such, they:
- Define the legal responsibilities of the Board of Professors.
- Define the legal responsibilities of the corporate officers: Senior Professor; President; Vice President of Instruction and External Affairs; Secretary; Treasurer.
- State the tax and legal provisions that must be followed to assure that the AJJF acts as a legal corporation and is eligible for status as a Public Benefit Corporation.
- Provide a formal set of rules for the orderly operation of the corporation.
- Define the process for changing the Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws.
All changes to the Bylaws of the corporation must be approved by the Board of Professors and must be refiled with the Secretary of State.
- The AJJF School Handbook is an internal document, separate from the legal Bylaws,
which defines how the AJJF will operate on a day-to-day basis.
- Each section of the AJJF School Handbook, except the Articles of Incorporation and the Bylaws are components of the AJJF School Handbook.
- The legal responsibilities of the Board of Professors and the officers of the corporation are defined in the Bylaws. The AJJF School Handbook details how those responsibilities will be accomplished.
- The AJJF School Handbook also defines the duties and responsibilities
of the members of the Operations Committee.
The Operations Committee is a committee of department
managers who are elected by the School Heads
or appointed by the Board of Professors, and represent their needs
to the Board of Professors.
They are responsible for the daily activities of the AJJF,
under the direction of the Board of Professors.
- The AJJF School Handbook defines procedures for membership, clinics,
contests, conventions, examinations, and
other ongoing administrative functions.
- The contents of the AJJF School Handbook may be changed at any time by
either the Operations Committee, with the approval of the Board of Professors,
or solely by the Board of Professors, so long as the changes do not contradict
the Articles of Incorporation or the Bylaws.